Disclaimer: Betfred Sportsbook is not online in Virginia. This review is speculative based on Betfred in other states and will be updated once the sportsbook launches here. In the meantime, here are the online sportsbooks we recommend in Virginia.
Betfred, a UK-based sportsbook that has already launched in several US states, could be coming to Virginia next. Should it do so, new customers in the state would be eligible for a two-part welcome bonus worth potentially up to $500.
Along with the welcome bonus, in this review we’ll also go over what Betfred Sports has to offer Virginia bettors, including betting options, Betfred’s sportsbook app, additional promotions once the welcome bonus is no more, banking convenience and customer service.
Given all of the sports betting options available, does it make sense to sign up at Betfred, as well? It’s a tough call indeed, but maybe our review will help decide you.
Betfred Sports Virginia promo code 2022
When you create an account at Betfred and make your first deposit, the sportsbook will provide you with a $200 free bet. Then, when you actually place your first bet on the site, Betfred will match it dollar for dollar, up to $500.
|Online Sportsbook||Betfred Sportsbook Virginia|
|Free Bet||$200 on Deposit|
|Matching Bet||Up to $500|
|Last Updated||May 2022|
Betfred Sportsbook Virginia welcome bonus — the fine print
To claim the free bet, your first deposit will need to be for at least $25. Also, note that the free bet has a 1x playthrough requirement. This means that you can’t withdraw it, at least not straight away. However, any winnings from the free bet will arrive in your account as cash that you can do with as you wish, including cash out.
The second part of the welcome package is a 100% match of your first bet, meaning the sportsbook awards you a bonus equal to the amount of your first wager. Here are the main conditions to be aware of:
- You need to deposit at least $10 to qualify for the wager match.
- You must activate the bonus within seven days of the first bet settling.
- Only wagers with odds of -200 or longer qualify toward the promo.
- You must use the bonus on odds of -200 or longer, as well.
- You must use the bonus within seven days.
Is Betfred Sports’ welcome bonus worthwhile?
It’s in the upper bracket, certainly. Just by itself, the 100% up to $500 first-bet match is probably a better deal than the risk-free bets you’ll see from many sportsbooks. The reasoning is simple: You qualify for it whether your first bet wins or loses. Risk-free offers become active only if your bet loses. On the other hand, the -200 odds restriction is a bit off-putting, so it’s not like the bonus cash will arrive on a silver platter. On the whole, though, Betfred’s welcome bonus is a quality offer for betting on sports in Virginia.
Can I trust Betfred Sportsbook?
Yes, Betfred is one of the most trusted brands in the bookmaking industry. It launched in 1967 in the UK and has also made a splash in legal US markets since it crossed the pond.
Betfred Sports USA, a subsidiary of the UK-based Betfred Group, has launched legal online sportsbooks in Iowa and Colorado as well as set up retail books in these jurisdictions. It also joined the Pennsylvania market in 2020 via a partnership with Wind Creek Hospitality. And it has a deal in place to launch in Arizona.
To launch in all of these states — as well as Virginia — it needed to receive the OK of each individual state gambling regulator, meaning it met standards for safety, security, responsible gambling and more in each state.
Getting started at Betfred Sportsbook in Virginia
Registering at Betfred Sports is a hassle-free process, but you’ll need to provide some personal details to get started. First things first — head over to the sportsbook’s site, choose Virginia from the state menu and look for the “bet now” or “register” button. Then fill out the application:
- Full name
- Username and password
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security number
You’ll also need to confirm that you’re 21 or older and that you agree to the sportsbook’s terms and conditions.
How do I download the Betfred Sportsbook app?
Betfred delivers a sportsbook on the go via its app for iOS and Android. Both are highly functional and well-optimized, which is no surprise given the company’s lengthy experience on the online sports betting scene.
It takes just a few minutes to set everything up and place wagers on the go with Betfred. Here are the download instructions:
- Load the site via your mobile browser.
- Tap the “Download iOS” or “Download Android” link, depending on your device.
- Follow any additional prompts and steps from there to complete the installation.
- Make sure that your device has sufficient memory space and meets the compatibility requirements.
- Start looking for bets you want to place.
Where do I find Betfred promotions?
You’ll see the promotions tab at the top left of the main lobby, though you might be a bit disappointed at what you’ll find there, or lack thereof. Aside from a refer-a-friend bonus, the sportsbook leaves much to be desired. It occasionally rolls out market-specific free bet deals, but there’s room for improvement in this area.
Why should I choose the Betfred Sportsbook app?
There are a lot of things Betfred does great. Here are some of the aspects from our review where the sportsbook shone the brightest:
- Introductory bonus: As far as welcome bonuses go, Betfred’s is a strong one. The match of your first bet doesn’t matter if that bet wins or loses, which is great. The $200 free bet is also solid in and of itself and allows you to get a feel for the place.
- Usability: Usability, stability and user-friendliness are hallmarks of great sportsbooks, and Betfred delivers in all three categories. The site is well-optimized and looks sleek and clean, which makes it an excellent fit for rookies. There’s also a search bar to help you track down a specific market or bet — quite a handy feature.
- Competitive odds: It’s always good to shop for odds before making your picks, but Betfred will have a competitive option most of the time. The sportsbook has solid pricing across all markets. When it comes to spreads and totals, you’ll mostly find -110 on both sides of the spectrum.
What won’t I like about the Betfred Sportsbook app?
Like most other books, Betfred also has a few weaknesses. We’ve highlighted the most impactful below:
- Lackluster promo lineup: The ongoing promo program is pretty stripped and lacks odds boosts and a few other incentives for existing customers that we usually see at online books.
- Lack of betting tools: Betfred isn’t what you would call a feature-heavy sportsbook. It could be a bit more innovative and add a few amenities that are trending among bettors, including cashing out early, live streaming and parlay builders, among others.
- Relatively few sports: The sportsbook comes up short in both market depth and coverage. The betting menu features only 10 sports and is missing a few popular niche markets. The range of bets is second-rate at best, and you won’t find many futures options — even for major sports.
What kind of bets can I place at Betfred Sportsbook?
As expected, Betfred covers all the main bets, namely moneylines, spreads and totals, as well as other standard options you’d expect from a popular sportsbook. Let’s examine Betfred’s betting offerings in detail:
- Betting the moneyline: Moneyline bets are the easiest to grasp as all you have to do is pick the winner. Positive odds signify underdogs, and the price itself shows how much profit one makes when connecting on a $100 wager. Favorites will have negative odds, and the number indicates the amount you must stake for a chance to win $100.
- Betting the spread: These are bets on the winning margin. In hockey, it’s called a puck line, and in baseball, the run line. If you pick the favorite, that side needs to win by a wider margin than the spread indicates. Underdogs can either win outright or lose but stay within the spread range for your bet to win.
- Totals bets — betting on the final score: This type of wager (in some form) is available for pretty much every sport. It requires that you predict the combined score of the game, compared to the sportsbook’s estimate. You can bet that the actual final score will be over or under what the sportsbook said it would be.
- Prop bets: These are outside-the-box wagers on aspects of the game that may be separate from the overall score. There’s usually a statistical element involved, be it on a team level or for individual players. Some props tackle specific occurrences within the game. For example, “Will the game go to overtime?”
- Futures — betting on the long haul: Looking at its name, it’s easy to see what this wager is all about — betting on something that will happen down the road. On top of being exciting, these bets can be highly lucrative, especially if you pick long shots. Common options include winners of the overall title for the NBA, NHL, MLB and NFL seasons, conference/divisional winners and MVP award winners.
- Multi-bets: By mixing multiple wagers, you’ll assemble a parlay/teaser/round robin. The common denominator is that you make multiple selections for a chance at an increased payout. And, except in the case of a round robin, you need to get all of your picks correct to win anything.
- Live betting — Arguably the most thrilling form of betting, live bets start taking place once the game kicks off. Once the momentum shifts within the game, the sportsbook will adjust the odds accordingly. This leaves you with a limited window to capitalize on any odds you see that you like.
Can I bet on the Washington Football Team at Betfred?
Yes, Betfred runs the gamut when it comes to major sports. It has odds on the Washington Football Team, the Washington Wizards and every other team from the big four North American leagues. All the bets that we talked about in the previous segment are readily available, in addition to a few NFL-specific wagers such as the following:
- Longest field goal made: Choose which of the two teams will nail the longest field goal. You can also pick a third option, which is tie/neither, but it’s a long-shot bet that’s extremely difficult to hit.
- Anytime TD scorer: This is a popular NFL prop bet where you must predict if a player will score a TD within the game. You can generally pick from a list of 20-plus players.
- Anytime TD scorer and his team wins: This one is relatively simple — pick a TD scorer from the winning team. It’s more difficult to predict than the previous bet but comes with longer odds.
- Player-based props: Betfred offers a range of player-based props that revolve around various statistical milestones, including total passing attempts, receiving yards, receptions, field goals made, kicking points, longest rush, etc.
How do I get money on (and off) Betfred Sportsbook quickly?
As it stands, Betfred offers only a handful of deposit and withdrawal methods. These include Visa, Skrill, Mastercard, PayNearMe and ACH. That said, banking is something the sportsbook could improve on going forward.
How do I get help at Betfred Sportsbook?
Betfred offers several contact options, including a phone number and email address. The downside is that a live chat service isn’t available round-the-clock. Also, an FAQ section is not yet available, so you’ll be dependent on support agents to help you with your queries.
How do I exclude myself from Betfred?
Betfred has a responsible gambling section dedicated to problem gambling awareness and prevention. The sportsbook offers several tools to help bettors control their gameplay, allowing players to set deposit and spending limits. If you feel the urge to bet compulsively, it might be a good idea to consider signing up for the self-exclusion program to restrict yourself from using Betfred’s services for a limited period or indefinitely.
Can I bet at Betfred in person?
No, because Betfred hasn’t set up a betting shop in Virginia, at least not yet. We’ll update this section if that changes.
How does Betfred compare to other Virginia sportsbooks?
Betfred is on the cusp of becoming a prime contender in Virginia, though it still needs to improve a few things to reach the Mount Rushmore status of DraftKings Sportsbook and FanDuel Sportsbook. Most importantly, we would like to see the sportsbook boost its roster of ongoing promos and preferably add a few more niche sports to the mix. On the other hand, the welcome bonus is excellent, and so is the sportsbook’s pricing, which is why we’re predicting a bright future for it.