DraftKings Sportsbook Virginia Review & Promos
DraftKings Sportsbook is one of the top online sportsbooks in the country. Virginia users who sign up with DraftKings Sportsbook will get a special welcome bonus worth $1,200 in bonuses. You don’t even have to enter a DraftKings Virginia bonus code to be eligible.
The sportsbook offers an excellent range of betting choices, and on top of that, the welcome bonus allows you to get $200 in bonus bets, while only risking a small bit of your own money.
In our DraftKings Virginia review, we share how to claim the welcome bonus, break down everything you should know about the app, and quite a bit more. Just keep reading, and you’ll be an expert in no time.
DraftKings Sportsbook Virginia welcome bonus
Open a new sportsbook account with DraftKings Virginia and you automatically qualify for up to $1,200 in sign-up promos.
DraftKings promo code Virginia 2023
|DraftKings Virginia Promo Code||Click here to claim promo|
|Deposit Match||Up to $1,000|
|Deposit Bonus||$50 bonus bet with minimum deposit|
|Bet & Get Bonus||Make a Bet, Get $150|
|Online Since||2021 in Virginia|
|Last Updated||December 11, 2023|
Terms and conditions apply to all offers. Please see DraftKings Sportsbook for details. 21+ Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER+
How does the $1,200 DraftKings welcome bonus work?
The DraftKings welcome bonus in Virginia comes in three parts. Here is a look at all three:
- After you’ve opened your DraftKings account, make a small deposit. When you do this, you’ll get a $50 bonus bets.
- Additionally, DraftKings matches that initial deposit up to $1,000.
- For the second offer, you have to place a minimal cash bet. It doesn’t matter whether this bet wins or loses, either way, DraftKings Virginia awards you with $150 in bonus bets.
Draftkings Sportsbook Virginia promotions
You’ll find daily odds boosts on the DraftKings Virginia app. For these, the sportsbook usually increases the odds for a few prop bets and/or game results each day. While the boosts are nothing major, they can add up over time, especially if you’re betting larger sums of money.
DraftKings Sportsbook also has quite a few money-back offers where you receive bonus bets if your bet loses. For some of these offers, you still need to get part of your wager correct. For example, if you bet on a player to score the first touchdown in an NFL game, you’ll only get a refund if that player scores at some point during the game.
Also, a few times a year, DraftKings runs promotions that are basically free-money giveaways. For example, in one NFL season opening game, it listed the favorite at +100, meaning all the team had to do was not lose by more than 100 points. In the past, these promos were capped at $50 wagers, which allowed bettors to win more than $45 with little risk.
The DraftKings app also has free contests to enter where you can win real money. The free contests are quite difficult to win because so many people enter them, but since they’re free to enter, there’s no risk on your end.
You can find all the DraftKings promotions by going to “Rewards” and then clicking on “Promotions” on the app or website.
Is DraftKings legal in Virginia?
DraftKings Sportsbook is legal in Virginia. Sports wagering was legalized in the state in April 2020. One caveat is that as of right now there are not any retail casinos or sportsbooks in the state. That means all your sports betting must be done online or via Virginia sportsbook apps.
Additionally, while betting on college sports is permitted, betting on Virginia-based college teams is not. Also, live betting on college events is prohibited.
How to create a DraftKings account in Virginia
Creating a DraftKings Sportsbook account is an easy process and one that likely will take a few minutes or less. You can register using the DraftKings sports betting app or website.
- After following one of our links to the DraftKings page or downloading the app, click “Sign Up.”
- On the first sign-up page you’ll create a username, enter your email address and create a password. You also will check a box saying that you’re at least 21 years old.
- Then you’ll enter your first and last name, home address, birthday, and the last four digits of your Social Security number. Then click next.
- You’ll now have to answer a few questions to help confirm your identity. If you are unable to do so, you will have to send a photo of your driver’s license in order to get your account set up.
The information to create your account at DraftKings is the same as what other Virginia sportsbooks require.
DraftKings Virginia app – Up to $1,200 sign-up bonus
Transitioning between the DraftKings app and website is quite smooth, but we do find the app to be a little better than the website overall.
Downloading the DraftKings Sportsbook app in Virginia
To download the app, follow our DraftKings links and you will find an Apple and Android download. Just click on the appropriate logo for the app you need. Once you do that, you’ll download and then install the app on your device.
There’s a good chance you will have to grant permission for your device to both download and install the DraftKings app. Simply select yes when prompted and you will be all set.
Navigating the DraftKings app
Once you open up the DraftKings app, we’re confident you’ll find navigating around on it pretty self-explanatory.
You can access your account by clicking on your icon in the top left corner of the DraftKings homepage. On the other side, you will see how much money you have in your account. Tapping on the plus sign next to that lets you deposit money.
As you work your way down the page, you’ll encounter a marquee that you can scroll through. The marquee is usually home to the promos currently active at DraftKings; just click on the green button to opt in or claim the offer.
Next are some quick links to help you get to the most popular events going on at DraftKings at that time. And after that you’ll start to see games that you can wager on.
In order to place bets, all you need to do is click on what you want to wager on and it will be added to your bet slip. If you want to add more selections, click the green “Add more” and the bet slip will minimize and you can add whatever else you would like. From there, you can make your bets into parlays, teasers or round robins, or just place them as straight bets.
Across the bottom of the DraftKings app you’ll find links to take you back to the homepage, to see what live games you can wager on, to open your bet slip, to view an A-Z listing of the sports you can wager on and to go to the DraftKings promotions page.
There’s a lot for Virginians to like about the DraftKings Sportsbook app. It’s obvious why DraftKings, along with FanDuel Sportsbook Virginia, is one of the top two most popular sportsbook apps in the US.
Best features of the DraftKings Sportsbook app
Here are some of the features that benefit you the most at DraftKings VA.
- Promotions: Betting on sports is hard; even the best struggle to win more than 60% of the time. That’s why DraftKings’ promotions are so huge — they make winning both easier and more profitable.
- Stats hub: We’re big fans of the stats hub on the DraftKings Sportsbook app. There you will find everything from prebuilt parlays to featured value props and charts tracking line moves. There’s stats and info available for tons of sports and really the only negative is that it’s easy to go down a rabbit hole and lose track of time.
- Sportsbook and DFS accounts tied together: If you already have a DraftKings daily fantasy sports account, then joining the sportsbook is even easier. And we love being able to have our sportsbook and DFS accounts tied together. It’s great not having to transfer money back and forth between the two.
How could DraftKings improve?
While the sportsbook has plenty of great features, it also has a few things it could do better.
- More withdrawal methods: If you have a PayPal account, then cashing out with DraftKings is pretty simple. If not, your only other method of withdrawing money is by having a check sent to you in the mail. While it’s not the end of the world, it still isn’t ideal having to wait two weeks or more to collect your winnings.
- More betting options: While DraftKings does have a lot of wagering options, there’s at least one that is sorely missing, and that is single-game parlays. We really like the SGPs that are available at FanDuel and would love to see DraftKings offer the same thing or something similar.
Types of bets available on DraftKings Virginia sportsbook
DraftKings VA has tons of sports betting options to choose from. Here is a look at the available bet types as well as explanations and examples of how they work.
- Moneyline bets are wagers where you are betting on who will win straight up. The numbers identify which team is favored and how much you could win.
Example: Washington Nationals -360 vs. Baltimore Orioles +300, means that Washington is favored and you would need to bet $360 on the Nats to win $100, whereas a $100 bet on the underdog O’s would win you $300.
- Point spreads involve picking how much a team will win by. To win, your selection must “cover the spread.”
Example: Charlotte Hornets -8.5 vs. Washington Wizards +8.5, means that the Hornets are favored and in order to cover the spread they need to win by nine points or more. On the other side, if you bet on the Wizards, they would cover the spread by either winning the game or losing by eight points or fewer.
- Totals, also known as over/unders, are bets that involving selecting if a given stat will be higher or lower than the number provided by the sportsbook. The most common form of over/under bet is on the combined points teams score in a game.
Example: Washington Capitals vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at a total of 6.5 means you are betting whether the Capitals and Penguins will combine to score over or under 6.5 goals. If the final is 4-3, bets on the over win.
- Prop betting involves wagers on whether specific occurrences will take place in a game. Proposition bets are available for all major sports, and depending on the popularity of the event, there can be dozens and dozens of props to bet on.
Examples: Wagering on a player to score a TD or hit a home run during NFL and MLB games, respectively. Or betting on how many points or rebounds a specific player will have in an NHL or NBA game.
- Parlays can be one of the more lucrative forms of sports betting. For parlay wagers, you combine two or more selections into one bet, and to win you need to get all the selections, or legs, correct.
Example: You could wager on a three-leg parlay, taking the over for the Capitals-Penguins game, the Hornets to cover, and the Nationals to win their game outright. If you are wrong on any of the three legs, the entire bet fails.
- Teasers are most common with basketball and football and involve changing the spread for multiple selections.
Example: A two-team teaser would be betting on both the Baltimore Ravens (+3.5) and Washington Commanders (+6.5) to cover the spread, but teasing it by six points. That changes the lines for both games, so they would become Ravens (+9.5) and Washington (+12.5).
- Round robins are pairings of three bets or more that are grouped together so that, unlike parlays, you can miss one selection and still win some money.
Example: You create an NFL round robin with Baltimore, Washington and Kansas City all winning, the grouping would be: Baltimore-Washington, Baltimore-Kansas City, and Washington-Kansas. If all three win, you win all three bets, if only one loses though, you still would win one of the three.
- Futures are wagers on events further out than just the next game on the schedule. The most common futures bets are on title winners, the over/unders for regular season wins and for which players will win season-long awards.
- Live betting is something that has really just come about with the emergence of online sportsbooks. Live betting, also called in game betting, is any form of bet you make while a game already is underway. When it comes to live wagering, you’ll notice that lines and odds change all the time and sometimes by large amounts. Keep in mind that live betting on college sports is prohibited in the state of Virginia.
Sports you can bet on at DraftKings in Virginia
DraftKings has more than 20 sports from all over the world for Virginians to bet on.
It covers all the major US sports leagues, so if you love basketball, you can bet on the WNBA, NBA or college basketball. If football is more your style, there are NFL and college football markets in abundance. For baseball and hockey, there are MLB and the NHL, respectively.
DraftKings also has odds and lines for MLS games, UFC, the PGA Tour, NASCAR and tennis, too. If you like to branch outside the US you can wager on the English Premier League, Champions League or other international soccer leagues.
If that’s still not enough, DraftKings also offers more niche sports like table tennis and rugby. Just check out the complete listings for all the sports using the DraftKings app.
Virginia sports teams you can bet on
When it comes to the in-state teams you can bet on using the DraftKings app, the bad news is there really aren’t a lot to choose from.
We don’t have any major pro teams to bet on, and while we do have 14 Division I college teams, betting on them is prohibited. So that means no wagering on the Virginia Cavaliers, Virginia Tech Hokies or Richmond Spiders, just to name a few.
However, there are a handful of teams in nearby Washington, D.C.; Baltimore; and Charlotte, North Carolina, that we can root on. Here’s a look at those teams.
- In the NFL there are the Baltimore Ravens, Washington Commanders, and Carolina Panthers.
- Major League Baseball has the Washington Nationals, who won the World Series in 2019. Also, the Baltimore Orioles play in the area.
- In the NBA we have the Charlotte Hornets and Washington Wizards. The Wizards’ best moment came over 40 years ago, when the team won the 1978 NBA Finals and lost the 1979 NBA Finals in its attempt to repeat. At the time, the franchise was known as the Washington Bullets.
- And that leaves just the Washington Capitals in the National Hockey League. The Capitals have been a top team in the Eastern Conference for years and won the Stanley Cup in 2018 as captain Alexander Ovechkin won the Conn Smythe Trophy.
Virginia futures betting
You’ll find plenty of futures bets on the DraftKings app in Virginia. Shortly after the previous season ends, DraftKings will have odds for which team win the title the following season for the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB.
As the season gets closer, DraftKings will add markets for who will win their divisions and conferences, as well as for over/unders on each team’s win total for the regular season.
The sportsbook has futures for players, as well. You are able to bet on who you think will win the MVP award in the top leagues, as well other awards such as rookie of the year. It also has odds for the NFL players to lead the league in rushing, receiving and passing.
And don’t forget about the NCAA. While you can’t bet on any Virginia-based teams, you can wager on who you think will win the Division I college football and men’s college basketball national championships.
DraftKings also has markets for which teams will win their conferences, and when it comes to March Madness, you can bet on the teams you think will advance to the Final Four.
How to deposit and cash out on the DraftKings app
There are numerous ways to deposit money, but only a couple when it comes time to withdraw at DraftKings Sportsbook. Here’s a look at your choices for depositing money at DraftKings. Note that a minimum deposit is required.
- Credit or debit card
- Online banking transfer
- Wire transfer
- DraftKings gift card
- DraftKings Play+ prepaid card
When you want to withdraw, you have only two options: PayPal or having a check mailed to you. There is a $1 minimum if you use PayPal and a $15 minimum if you choose the check.
How to contact DraftKings customer support
If you run into any problems at DraftKings in Virginia, know that customer support is available 24/7.
The best way to reach out to the support team is by going to the website or app and selecting “contact us” under your account. At that point, you can fill out a form to send a message. You also can select the phone option. For this you will also fill out a form, and DraftKings will then contact you when someone is available.
Your third option is to send an email to [email protected].
Responsible gambling at DraftKings Virginia
As a responsible sportsbook, DraftKings has multiple links and phone numbers if you or someone you know wants information on dealing with a gambling problem. You can find all of that information on the DraftKings responsible gambling page.
One of the major advantages of online sportsbooks is that users are able to regulate how much money they wager and how much time they spend on the app and website. You can set limits on how much you’re able to gamble at DraftKings, and if you choose you also can keep yourself from being able to use the online sportsbook entirely.
Is DraftKings the best sportsbook in Virginia?
DraftKings is one of the top two sportsbooks in Virginia along with FanDuel, in our estimation. Picking which one is better really comes down to splitting hairs.
Both the odds and promotions that the two books offer are among the best in the business, and their apps are stellar.
While we have a hard time picking one over the other, the easiest thing to say is that you can’t go wrong with either. Both Virginia sportsbooks have different promos, so why not just have accounts with both and play at the one with the best odds at the time?
DraftKings Sportsbook Virginia FAQ
You don’t need a DraftKings Virginia bonus code to claim the $1,200 DraftKings welcome offer. Sign up with DraftKings Sportsbook Virginia here and you’ll be all set. Check out the full terms and conditions in the DraftKings Virginia welcome bonus second above.
All users must be at least 21 years of age to bet on sports in the state of Virginia. You also must be in Virginia in order to place any bets. That’s why you’ll need to have geolocation services turned on whenever you want to make a wager, that way the system can confirm you’re actually in the state.
Sadly you cannot. Virginia law prohibits betting on any NCAA teams from Old Dominion, so no betting on Virginia or VCU either. Both prop betting and live, in-game betting on all college sports also is not allowed in the state.
No, you can sign up with DraftKings using the DraftKings app or website. Just be prepared to enter your name, email and home addresses, birthdate, cellphone number and the last four numbers of your social security number. The entire process only should take a couple of minutes.
Both apps are among the best in the entire sports betting industry because they are super fast and reliable and offer tons of high-quality promotions all the time. FanDuel offers single-game parlays, which DraftKings does not, but DraftKings has a loyalty program which FanDuel does not. You can’t go wrong with either one.
Definitely. DraftKings is licensed by the Virginia Lottery which oversees sports betting in the state and overall DraftKings is one of the best online sportsbooks in the US. If you do encounter any problems with DraftKings Sportsbook you can call the VA Lottery at 804-692-7777 or send them a message via their website.
Kind of. You can make deposits and withdrawals and check lines from anywhere, but you only can place bets in states where DraftKings is licensed and regulated. Right now, that means you can use the DraftKings app to bet on sports in AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV & WY.