The 2021 NCAA Division I men’s basketball tournament kicks off on Thursday with four “play-in games.” The official first round of the 68-team tourney then takes place with 16 games on Friday and 16 more on Saturday.
Five Virginia schools made this year’s Big Dance. The list includes the University of Virginia, which looks to defend its 2019 title (the COVID-19 pandemic scrapped the 2020 tourney). Virginia Tech University, VCU, Liberty University and Norfolk State University also made the field.
You can’t legally wager on those teams within Virginia’s borders. However, here are some other offers that are worth your consideration as the sports world’s attention turns to college basketball.
DraftKings: Bet $4 to win $256 in the Big Dance
If you’re new to DraftKings, you can turn $4 into $256 if you correctly predict an upset in the tournament.
The offer is for the first two rounds of the tournament (March 19-22) . Here are the details:
- You must deposit at least $5 into your DraftKings Sportsbook account.
- From the Sportsbook Promos page, pick the team you want to “boost” with 64-1 odds (+6400).
- The team you pick must be a worse seed than its opponent (i.e. picking a No. 10 seed over a No. 7 seed).
- You must place your bet before the tipoff of your chosen game.
- Max bet is $4 (and $256 in profit), and each user gets one qualifying bet.
- Live bets, parlays, free bets, cash-out bets, and voided bets are excluded.
No. 13 seed Liberty is a popular pick over No. 4 Oklahoma State University, and a lot of sharps like No. 10 Virginia Tech over No. 7 Florida. Again, though, you can’t wager on Virginia schools at VA sports betting apps.
However, some schools from neighboring states might be worth considering. The list includes:
- No. 12 Georgetown University (+5) vs. No. 5 University of Colorado
- No. 13 UNC Greensboro (+10.5) vs. No. 4 Florida State
- No. 10 University of Maryland (+3) vs. No. 7 University of Connecticut
Kick off the tourney with FanDuel’s “Spread the Love”
New and current FanDuel Sportsbook customers can take part in another “Spread the Love” promotion.
These periodic specials are basically no-sweat bets. This time around, it’s focused on Thursday night’s play-in tournament game between Michigan State and UCLA.
Basically, the more people who take part in the promotion, the more everyone gains.
For every 2,500 bets that are placed on the Spartans-Bruins market, the spread will increase one point in favor of MSU.
As of Tuesday, the line had already swollen to 72.5 points. Considering Michigan State’s worst loss ever was by 52 points (vs. Indiana University in 1975), this promotion is a bit of a no-brainer.
Unlike some promotions, Spread the Love is open to both new and current customers. The max bet allowed is $50.