We understand. Time flies and you are just now beginning to make your shopping list for a Virginia Super Bowl Party this weekend.
That could mean a big spread of cold cuts, crackers and cheese for a dozen guests. Maybe it’s just a favorite meal with a loved one as your rate the Super Bowl commercials.
There’s no one way to enjoy the game. Just remember to:
- drink responsibly — make sure any guests have a safe way home and
- bet responsibly — budget for a fun night as you log onto one of Virginia’s 15 sportsbooks. Then stick to that budget so a bad beat doesn’t ruin a night of fun (or your bank account).
We’ll talk about ways to wager as you watch in a bit. First, let’s set the clock on when guests arrive for your Virginia Super Bowl party.
How to watch the 2023 Super Bowl
- What: Super Bowl 57
- When: 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, Feb. 12.
- Teams: The Philadelphia Eagles face the Kansas City Chiefs in Glendale, AZ. Both teams are 14-3. It’s the NFC’s turn to be the designated home team.
- Viewing: FOX starts its pregame coverage at 1 p.m. ET, so that’s when your party might start too.
- Streaming: The FOX Sports app is an option, but you’ll have to log in with a cable TV provider. Amazon Fire TV, Google TV, Roku Smart TVs and all Android and Apple mobile devices also can get you tuned in.
Ding-dong: Your non-football fan is here for the Virginia Super Bowl party
You know this already. Some guests will emphasize the “Super Bowl” part of the phrase “Super Bowl party.” Others will emphasize the “party” portion of the phrase.
- Shhhhhh! They want to hear the buzzworthy Super Bowl commercials.
- They’ll pass time waiting for the halftime show.
- The football? Not so much.
Virginia Super Bowl party hosts have some help this year from the island of Barbados. The NFL worked with ROC Nation to bring Rihanna to the halftime stage.
So, make sure each rum punch is decorated with an “umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh” — or your guests might be “four five seconds from wildin’.”
OK, OK. We’ll stop now.
But, the halftime show does inspire some ideas if you want to aspire beyond the chips, pretzels, dips and beers. (No judgment if you just want to crack open a brew or two, of course.)
Barbados Sunrise drink recipe
We’ll pass along a food.com version, but there are plenty of variations on the Barbados Sunrise in a nod to the Super Bowl halftime performer. This gives some of your guests an alternative to the “beer me” crowd at your party.
- Light rum (3/4 ounce)
- Blue curacao (1 ounce)
- Orange juice (1 cup)
- Grenadine (1 ounce)
- Ice (1 cup)
- Tiny umbrella or orange slice
Use a tall glass for this one. Start with the grenadine and swirl it around a little.
Then, add the ice and slowly pour in the orange juice.
Mix the rum and curacao together. Pour that over the orange juice.
Garnish with an orange slice or tiny umbrella (but use an umbrella because Rihanna).
WWRE — What Would Rihanna Eat?
Let’s get this out of the way: Most of you will heat up some “little smokies” sausages and barbeque sauce in a crockpot. Your guest might enjoy some mix of ground beef, melted cheese and salsa over corn chips as well. Order pizzas. Buy a pre-packaged grocery store tray with the finest meats and cheeses of the land.
They’re great paper plate staples for the couch and coffee table. Do that! The prep is easy and the food is portable. You don’t need our help with that.
This is for the people who are “extra” — and in case Rihanna stops by, although we hear she might be busy on Sunday.
One more thing: The internet is the internet, so take all of this with a grain of salt (food pun intended). But, we did a search of sites that care enough about what a celebrity eats to give you some “upscale” ideas. Here’s what the sites spit out (bad food pun intended):
We hear (PlayVirginia Gossip Edition) that Rihanna’s favorite place is an Italian restaurant called Giorgio Baldi in Santa Monica Canyon near Malibu. Apparently Kardashians like it too. And, get this everyone, she always orders the same three-pasta meal. She has her own waiter and they stray from the menu a bit.
- Homemade ravioli filled with ricotta cheese (here’s a recipe, probably not the recipe)
- Gnocchi, also homemade, served with a meat sauce or Gorgonzola sauce (link)
- Pasta Pomodoro with basil (link).
Yet another site actually lists Rihanna family recipes if you want to go all out on the theme. That list includes “Rih’s Garbanzo Bean (Chickpea) Salad” and “Mac A Rih’s.”
So. There you go. She likes pasta.
In-game bets keep a Virginia Super Bowl party interesting
Your age 21+ guests from out-of-state can sign up and bet on the Super Bowl in Virginia too. They don’t need a Virginia address. The sportsbook bet has to come from within state lines though.
Most guests will still sit through a blowout because time with friends and family is what really matters. When it comes to Virginia Super Bowl betting, the odds suggest an extremely close game between the Chiefs and Eagles however.
In-game bets can add some excitement to your Virginia Super Bowl party including:
Total points scored (over/under) in the first quarter ()
- Second quarter ()
- First half ()
You’ll find total points scored in the second half as well.
The point spread also changes as the game goes on, so if one team bolts out to a 17-point lead, you can live bet on whether the gap grows or shrinks during the course of the game.
Virginia doesn’t allow Super Bowl bets on the game MVP. Coin flips, the color of the winning coach’s Gatorade bath and the length of the national anthem aren’t betting options either.