We’re used to full stadiums and busy sportsbooks this time of year, but Qatar 2022 World Cup odds are throwing a different sport into the mix. It’s time to track time zones and group results.
For the first time since 2014, the US Men’s National Team (USMNT) is among the world’s elite. And, thanks to Tuesday’s 1-0 win over Iran, US fans can keep their eyes fixed overseas. Use this primer to watch and bet on the matches.
World Cup daytime bets in Virginia
Qatar is eight hours ahead of clocks in Virginia. That simply means:
- Qatar matches are morning and afternoon live-betting events for East Coast residents.
- The latest matches in Qatar begin at 2 p.m. here in Virginia.
- An afternoon match in Qatar will require an early-morning bet at sportsbooks in VA because first matches begin at 5 a.m.
December viewing guide for the knock-out round
The top two teams in the US group were lined up with two teams from Groups A in the round of 16. Group A included eventual winner The Netherlands and runner-up Senegal. Host Qatar and Ecuador were eliminated.
Group B was the only group with all four teams in the top 20, based on the Oct. 6 FIFA world rankings.
- The No. 16 USMNT opened group play with a 1-1 result vs. No. 19 Wales on Nov. 21.
- They locked up a second draw in a Black Friday scoreless match with No. 5 England.
- A first-half goal by the USMNT held up vs. No. 20 Iran. The 1-0 win on Nov. 29 got the Americans through to the knockout round.
- England won Group B with a pair of wins and the US draw.
As the Group B runner-up the US schedule is:
- Round of 16 — 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 3 USMNT vs. The Netherlands .
- Quarterfinal — 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 9 vs. Argentina or Australia
- Semifinal — 2 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 13
Third-place game — 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 17
World Cup championship — 10 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 18.
|World Cup Groups|
|Group A||No. 50 Qatar (Host)||No. 8 Netherlands||No. 18 Senegal||No. 44 Ecuador|
|Group B||No. 5 England||No. 16 United States||No. 20 IR Iran||No. 19 Wales|
|Group C||No. 3 Argentina||No. 13 Mexico||No. 26 Poland||No. 51 Saudi Arabia|
|Group D||No. 4 France||No. 10 Denmark||No. 30 Tunisia||No. 38 Australia|
|Group E||No. 7 Spain||No. 11 Germany||No. 24 Japan||No. 31 Costa Rica|
|Group F||No. 2 Belgium||No. 12 Croatia||No. 22 Morocco||No. 41 Canada|
|Group G||No. 1 Brazil||No. 15 Switzerland||No. 21 Serbia||No. 43 Cameroon|
|Group H||No. 9 Portugal||No. 14 Uruguay||No. 28 Korea Republic||No. 61 Ghana|
Where to watch the World Cup
DC United has official neighborhood bar partnerships in the nation’s capital so fans should find a great World Cup atmosphere with a visit:
- Lucky Bar — 1221 Connecticut Ave NW
- Mission Navy Yard — 1221 Van St SE
- Public Bar Live — 1214 18th St NW
- Scarlet Oak — 909 New Jersey Ave SE
- Walters Sports Bar — 10 N St SE
Virginia has a great mix of pubs with a European influence as well. The options for fútbol fandom include:
- Babylon Fútbol Cafe — 3501 S Jefferson St. in Falls Church
- Gus’ Bar & Grill — 2701 West Broad St. in Richmond
- Ireland’s Four Courts — 2051 Wilson Blvd. in Arlington
- Penny Lane Club — 421 E. Franklin St. in Richmond
- O’Sullivan’s Irish Pub & Restaurant — 3207 Washington Blvd. in Arlington
- Shorebreak Pizza & Taphouse — 2941 Shore Dr. in Virginia Beach
- Timberwood Grill — 3311 Worth Crossing in Charlottesville
- Wild Wing Cafe — 1437 Sam’s Dr. in Chesapeake
Be sure to confirm serving hours since the World Cup is an afternoon event in Virginia.
Another way to place Virginia bets on the US in the World Cup
The USMNT has made strides in the global community. But the red, white and blue remains a longshot to lift the trophy on Dec. 18.
- World Cup odds to reach the quarterfinals:
- To win the World Cup:
World Cup odds favor Europe, South America as always
The 13 best odds to win the World Cup all go to teams in South America or Europe. There’s a good reason for that: Since World Cup began in 1930, all of the first- and second-place teams have come from those two continents.
We won’t see DC United players in Qatar
MLS teams have 36 players representing 22 of the 32 nations at the 2022 World Cup. No one from DC United will represent their country at the global party, however.
- The Team Canada roster features six players from CF Montréal.
- LAFC sends five players to the World Cup, including three who will play for Ecuador.
- The Seattle Sounders FC rounds out the list of top clubs. They have four players en route to Qatar.
- Other MLS teams with multiple players at the World Cup are Toronto FC (3) and Nashville SC (2).
Bets on football and fútbol: A winter of World Cup isn’t typical
No, your mind isn’t playing tricks on you. We don’t usually get World Cup odds with our holiday wish lists. World Cups usually play out in June and July around the globe.
Why so late?
Qatar became the first Middle East country and the smallest country ever to land a World Cup bid. The selection was controversial for many reasons including the weather.
High temperatures routinely surpass the 105ºF mark in June and July, when the World Cup is typically played. On-field conditions can be even worse. It wasn’t safe to hold the World Cup during the summer months there.
Qatar is approaching winter like the rest of the Northern Hemisphere though. As a result, conditions look pretty consistent — and better — for the group stage. Team USA should see highs of around 85ºF and lows of around 70ºF on match days.
A bigger World Cup is coming to North America in 2026
DC United will host the 2023 MLS All-Star Game on July 19 at Audi Field, but Washington, DC isn’t in the host city mix when the World Cup comes to North America in 2026. Canada, the US and Mexico are sharing host duties. It’s the first time three countries have shared the honor.
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Kansas City
- Mexico City
- New York/New Jersey
The expanded 2026 World Cup welcomes 48 national teams, up from the 32 qualifiers you’ll see in Qatar. Likewise, the 2022 World Cup will unfold over 64 matches. FIFA will need 80 matches to crown a champion in 2026.
As hosts, the US, Canada and Mexico are all assured spots in the 2026 World Cup.